Skip to content


Educating for the Future, Training for a Career, Developing a Community


Important Flu Information 

What are the symptoms of the flu?

Symptoms of the flu can include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills, fatigue and sometimes vomiting and diarrhea (more common in children than adults). Some people with the flu will not have a fever.


When can my child go back to school after having the flu?

Keep your child home from school, day care or camp for at least 24 hours after their fever is gone. (The fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.) A fever is defined as 100°F (37.8°C) or higher.


The flu virus is widespread throughout West Virginia and many physician offices, clinics, hospitals and emergency rooms are overfilled with patients.  The medical community is seeing an influx of children and families showing up to merely ask for a medical excuse for school without needing treatment.


Gilmer County Schools is working with the WV Department of Education to document the parent excuse for flu as a medical excuse during this widespread flu activity to keep children at home in order to help decrease the spread in WV. 


If you have any questions, please contact your child’s school.  The parental excuse MUST include documentation referring to the flu to be accepted as a medical excuse during this time period.


Student Enrollment/Registration

In order to enroll/register a new student at Gilmer County High School parents/guardians need to bring the child's immunization records, proof of residency in Gilmer County, photo identification of the parent/guardian enrolling the student, and any court documents relating to the student (if applicable).  Please call 304-462-7960 beginning Monday, July 23 or email to make an appointment with a counselor.



Please call or contact your child's teacher for tutoring support and times.


DMV Driver Eligibility Certificate

-August to May-

Students needing the DMV driver eligibility certificate to take their driver's test will need to pick up a request form in the main office. Request forms will be processed as quickly as possible, but please allow approximately one week from the date of request by the student until the certificate is issued. This will ensure you have the necessary documentation from Gilmer County Schools when scheduling to take your driver's test.

- Summer Months-

Students are responsible to get the DMV Driver Eligibility Certificate for Instruction Permit or License showing proof of enrollment/attendance two weeks prior to summer vacation.  During the summer months, the form is valid from June 1 to the following school term. 

At least two weeks prior to summer vacation, students needing the DMV Driver Eligibility Certificate to take their driver’s test during summer months will need to pick up a request form in the main office.   Request forms will be processed and the certificate issued before the last day of school.  The certificate will be valid during summer months.


Sports Physicals

Gilmer County School Based Health will be doing Sports Physicals at Gilmer County High School in the School Based Health Clinic on TBA 8am-6pm. Parents need to provide proof of Well Child Check and immunizations if done with a provider outside of Minnie Hamilton Health System. It is important that your child have an annual Well Child Check (including any needed immunizations). Please make all arrangements to have your child’s Well Child Check performed prior to the sports physical. If a Well Child Check has not been performed within the previous 12 months, or if your child needs immunizations, we will schedule a follow up appointment for your child. If you have insurance, it will be billed for the sports physical, any remaining amount will not be the responsibility of the patient/parent/guarantor, only if scheduling the sports physical on one of the above-specified dates. Appointments MUST be made in advance. If you have any questions or wish to schedule an appointment, please call 304-462-3415 or 304-462-7322. Forms can be picked up at the School Based Health Office, Minnie Hamilton Health Systems, Go-Mart, Gil-Co and Rite Aid.


Immunizations for Incoming 7th and 12th Graders

The current school year is rapidly coming to a close, and updated immunization records need to be turned into the school as soon as possible. Please be aware that students, who do not have proof of their updated immunizations turned into their school before May 25th, will not be considered fully enrolled for the 2018/19 school year. After May 25th, students will not receive a copy of their schedule or be permitted to participate in ANY school-related group, team, or activity until the records have been received. Please do not hesitate in contacting your health care provider today to schedule an appointment.

Students entering 7th grade must show proof of a booster dose of the Tdap Vaccine, and their first dose of the Meningococcal Vaccine.

Students entering 12th grade must show proof of a single dose of the Tdap Vaccine and a dose of the Meningococcal Vaccine after the age of 16.


Flu Shots Available

Flu Shots are available at School Based Health. Please stop by the SBH Office to pick up a consent form and schedule an appointment.  If you have any questions, feel free to contact SBH at 462-3415.